Parking Lot Safety & Transportation Policy
Young drivers are one of the most vulnerable road user groups because of their inexperience, underdeveloped skills and a distinct pattern of behavior relating to youth culture and lifestyle. While most young drivers are careful, safety conscious and considerate when driving, research shows that in their first year of driving, young people are about three times more vulnerable to accidents than older, more experienced drivers.
The school is aware that a number of senior school students intend to drive to school either occasionally or on a regular basis. It is important that all members of the school community are aware of the school policy on this matter. The school has a responsibility to monitor the safety and well being of all of our young students, thus strictly prohibits any underage or unlicensed student from driving to/from the school campus. A licensed adult MUST accompany students who have a learner’s permit. This policy is in accordance with the law, and will be implemented by the school.
LICENSED DRIVERS MUST ADHERE TO THE FOLLOWING RULES, SPECIFICALLY:
- It is expected that students will drive to and from school in a safe and responsible manner and adhere to road rules.
- Under no circumstances can a student transport other students in their cars during school hours on school events.
- If these requirements are disregarded, parents will be notified and appropriate student sanctions will apply.
- If the school becomes aware that a student driver has broken road rules or driven in an unsafe or irresponsible manner, parents will be notified.
- Students are not to use their cars at lunchtime.
- Students driving to and from school are asked to notify the A-Level Coordinator and provide car & registration details.
- Any student driver who drives to school does so at his/her own risk. The school takes no responsibility or liability for any accident or damage caused by a student driver.
PARKING LOT RULES AND REGULATIONS:
- The school parking lot is officially a part of the First Steps Senior School Campus. Therefore, all rules and regulations that apply within the school building, apply in the parking lot as well. For their safety, the students will not be permitted to gather in the parking lot during school hours.
- There is a ZERO TOLERANCE policy for smoking or any form of substance abuse in the parking lot or anywhere on campus. Any student found in possession of any contraband material, including lighters or cigarettes will be EXPELLED immediately without any prior warning or notification.
- The school security staff is posted in the parking lot for the convenience and safety of our student body. The parking and pick-up plan instituted by them must be followed.
COMMUNICATION STRATEGIES USED TO ENSURE STUDENTS AND PARENTS ARE AWARE OF THE SCHOOL POLICY INCLUDE:
- Printed Notification sent home for parents and student signature.
- SMS notification.
- Policy Updated onto the school portal